Tree at Fort Griffin State Park in Texas
Fort Griffin State Historic Site was a Cavalry fort established 29 July 1867 by four companies of the Sixth Cavalry under the command of Lt. Col. S.D. Sturgis, in the northern part of West Texas, specifically northwestern Shackelford County, to give settlers protection from early Comanche and Kiowa raids. Originally called Camp Wilson, it was finally named for Charles Griffin, a former Civil War Union general who had commanded the Department of Texas during the early years of Reconstruction.
Other forts in the frontier fort system were Forts Richardson, Concho, Belknap, Chadbourne, Fort Stockton, Fort Davis, Fort Bliss, McKavett, Clark, Fort McIntosh, Fort Inge and Phantom Hill in Texas, and Fort Sill in Oklahoma. There were "sub posts or intermediate stations" including Bothwick's Station on Salt Creek between Fort Richardson and Fort Belknap, Camp Wichita near Buffalo Springs between Fort Richardson and Red River Station, and Mountain Pass between Fort Concho and Fort Griffin.