Basílica Colegiata de Nuestra Señora de Guanajuato is considered one of the most emblematic structures of the City of Guanajuato, Mexico. It is located in the Plaza de la Paz, in front of the plaque that names the center of Guanajuato as a World Heritage Site. It has the distinction of basilica since 1957 and was built between 1671 and 1696.
Guanajuato is a city and municipality in central Mexico and the capital of the state of the same name. It is part of the macroregion of Bajío. It is in a narrow valley, which makes its streets narrow and winding. Most are alleys that cars cannot pass through, and some are long sets of stairs up the mountainsides. Many of the city’s thoroughfares are partially or fully underground. The historic center has numerous small plazas and colonial-era mansions, churches and civil constructions built using pink or green sandstone.