The Governor John Rutledge House is a historic house in Charleston, South Carolina. Completed in 1763 by an unknown architect, it was the home of John Rutledge, a Governor of South Carolina and a signer of the United States Constitution. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1973.
The John Rutledge House is located in historic Charleston, on the north side of Broad Street, opposite its junction with Orange Street, and the Edward Rutledge House, the home of John's brother. It is a tall three-story structure, rendered even taller by its placement on a raised basement. It has a hip roof with a front-facing gable, stuccoed walls, and corner quoining. The front facade is distinguished by an ornate two-story wrought iron balcony, which is believed to have been made by Christopher Werner.
The house was built as a two-story structure for John Rutledge in 1763, by which time he had already established a successful law practice. Rutledge played a significant role in organizing the Patriot forces of South Carolina during the American Revolutionary War, serving as the state's executive for much of the conflict. He also attended the Constitutional Convention of 1787, and is a signer of the United States Constitution. The house passed out of his family, and was enlarged by the addition of the third story in 1853 by Thomas M. Gadsden. The house served as a law office in the 20th century.